Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday at the Cha Cha Lounge - A Review

It happens to everyone...

The day after thanksgiving, or better known as black friday to the dedicated, turkey-stuffed, shopping soldiers that somehow wake up at 5 A.M. to ambush the various warehouses and consumer meccas that stack themselves neatly in the burbs of LA block, by block, by block. 

Not here... not in this cave... and not in this stomach. After a modest vegetarian thanksgiving dinner of vegetables, mashed patatoes, yams, and some pumpkin pie I found myself waking up at a decent hour. I felt great. I felt normal. And I felt that nobody else felt the same way. The theory is simple. This is America, and people have no self control. There are only two options for the general public on black Friday... two extremities. One, your either at Starbucks at four A.M. with the rest of the broke moguls grabbing your 20 of strait black to wash down that still creeping feeling of being sick from your third piece of pie the night before as you roll your way down the sidewalk to best buy in hopes that portable hard-rives aren't completely washed out yet... or two, it's 3 p.m. and your still passed out as your stomach tries to figure out what the hell you did to it the night before, but you persist... your strong... you roll your gorged bodess out of bed, flip on the T.V... and muster all your willpower for that one last crusade to the kitchen for that day after thanksgiving turkey sandwich... mmm... lucky you.

That leaves me. I am on neither extreme. I am in fact feeling great! Well fed... with lots of vital energy. No Post Thanksgiving marathon for me... just smiles. So the fact remains, I am lone ranger. The one man that ate a normal meal on thanksgiving. The one man who was not sick the next day. As great as this may sound... it's not... in fact, it's actually a bit of a problem. You see while everyone else is hitting the gym, watching ESPN reruns, sleeping, or eating more food... I am out and a bout in the world... and I am indeed, yes indeed, flying solo today.

Fast forward >>>

So I spent the day alone. i watched films. Drank good coffee. Worked on my film. Wrote a little bit. Made some calls... it was all good, but somehow, something was missing... I mean it was black friday, and as white as I may be by genetic principle my day still needed a little color... by that I mean a lot.

Then it hit me... I don't know how... I don't know why, and I don't really care, but I was going to go to the Cha Cha Lounge... it wasn't really an option. I heard it was good time so I was going, and that was that. I was gonna pencil in this bleached out black friday if it was the last thing I was gonna do. Two minutes later I was out the door, I hopped in my GTI, and I busted out of hipstar village like a kid on halloween.

Five minutes later I was down Franklin and breaking right onto Glendale Blvd into the heart of  hipstar central... Silverlake, CA. In a matter of moments I bank rolled some trustfunder's Audi A4 out of the way as I downshifted my trusty five-speed into the sole remaining parking spot left on the Blvd... there were tears, screams, and kicks from the homeschooler but he left without much of a fuss after I gave him the old hipstar gaze... those guys love that. 

Now I've heard about this place, the Cha Cha Lounge, good things mostly. As I strolled up to the door some cool guy door man asked for my I.D. with his atmospheric, hipstar gaze. Of course, I knew exactly what to do so I just stared back for about 20 seconds until he had the courtesy of opening his mouth and telling me like a normal person that he needed to see my I.D. After the pleasant but uncanny transaction, I moved through that Cha Cha entrance and was pleasantly surprised to see that the place was blowing up. No day after thanksgiving kids here... most of the homeboys looked like they could use a good meal... I fit right in. 

Now the thing with bars is that most of the time they are kind of anti-climactic. If it looks good when you come in then give it a few minutes and you might not be feeling the same way. This ain't the case at the Cha Cha... the Cha Cha knows how to bring in the crowd... I'm talking manic pixie dream girls everywhere, hipstar bros sporting their winter carhartt's, pin up hippie chicks, post grunge ganstars making the rounds with their boys from 99 in true LA fashion. At that moment I knew I was where I was suppose to be.

My next move was simple, I did what every scrawny, brooding, aspiring artist does when good things are happening everywhere... I grabbed my $2.50 pint of PBR, an everyday-all day price that I a more than insanely excited about, and posted up hard. Not five minutes went by before I was getting eyes from a few MPDG's holding it down by their lonesome, so I ordered another pint of PBR and made my way over. Cool girls, not quite K-dog muse quality, but most definitely rad. One girl was down visiting from San Fran and the other was local LA... good enough for me. We burnt the place down in hi-fashion, closed are cards, and headed over the Lion for one last pint before calling it a night. 

But wait... nah... that's it... but it made my Friday black... if that makes any sense.

So their you have it... one marvelous Black Friday night at the Cha Cha Lounge. Now compared to some of the scenestars that hit Slake on the regular... I'm far from a scene-O-phile... but one things for sure, with a post-Garden State crowd and $2.50 pints of PBR, you could say I'll definitely be hitting up the Cha Cha in full hipstar get-up more than once this season.

 Now stop eating and go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment